- About BME
- Academics Home
- Combined Degrees
- Student Resources
- Industry Home
- Partner Benefits
- Student Design Projects
- Guest Lectures
- BME Interns
- Research Collaborations
- Tech Licensing
- Industry News
- "Women's Radio Network Open Forum" To Feature AxoGen, Inc.
- 3rd Annual Pruitt Research Day
- AxoGen, Inc. Announces Clearance from FDA to Proceed with New Multicenter Comparative Study for Avance® Nerve Graft
- AxoGen, Inc. Announces Completion of a Pilot Clinical Study Assessing Cavernous Nerve Reconstruction with Avance® Nerve Graft
- BioD LLC Makes $1 Million Gift Commitment to UF BME
- BioD Receives U.S. Patent for Unique Placental Tissue Technology
- Dr. Peter McFetridge awarded the Tim Brahm Professorship
- Event Celebrates BioD’s $1 Million Gift to BME
- New Industry Partner: Sigma Aldrich Corporation
- RTI Surgical™ Announces Agreement With Novation
- Record BME Industry Partner Participation at the 4th Annual Pruitt Research Day
- SPECIAL EVENT: “Geraldo Rivera Show” to Feature AxoGen, Inc.
- Stryker Provides Guest Lecture to BME Students
- Contact Us
3rd Annual Pruitt Research Day
Thank you to everyone who participated in the J. Crayton Pruitt Family Department of Biomedical Engineering’s 3rd Annual Pruitt Research Day! We had a successful day of talks and poster presentations along with a special ceremony for the unveiling of the Pruitt Historical Marker.
Karen Zaderej, President and CEO of AxoGen, Inc., kicked off the day as the keynote speaker. Ms. Zaderej presented a talk on academic-to-industry translation and spent extra time interacting with and inspiring the students one-on-one.
We had four great student talks and 47 poster presentations this year. Thank you to all the students who worked hard preparing for your presentations and congratulations to the following award winners!
Jianbo Tang (Dr. Jiang’s lab) – best oral presentation
Michael Hermansen (Dr. Bova’s lab) – best poster presentation
Paul Nickerson (Dr. Rashidi’s lab) – honorable mention poster presentation
This year, we invited the BME Industry Partners to participate in Pruitt Research Day as well. Representatives from Alafair Biosciences, AxoGen, BioD, Exactech and RTI Surgical participated in an interactive industry panel discussion with students. In addition to the panel, the industry representatives set up tables during the poster session to help students learn more about the companies, internship opportunities and general career paths.
To honor and recognize the life and legacy of Dr. J. Crayton Pruitt Sr. whose vision and generosity helped found the department, we held a special ceremony to unveil the Pruitt Historical Marker during this year’s event. During the ceremony, UF Provost and Senior VP for Academic Affairs, Dr. Joe Glover, presented the Pruitt family with the university’s first ever “Preeminence Award” to thank them for their continued support. Professor Mingzhou Ding and BME student, Evelyn Bracho-Sanchez, also had the opportunity to convey their appreciation for the impact the Pruitt family’s generosity has made on them personally.
The plaque’s inscription reads:
A special thank you the Pruitt family for joining us on this important day! Dr. Crayton Pruitt Jr. visited several of the student posters giving them the opportunity to explain more about their research projects.
We were excited to see how engaged everyone was in Pruitt Research Day! This is important for the department, UF and the BME community as we celebrate the wonderful research of our faculty and students.
Please visit our Flickr page to view all the photos from this event.