- About BME
- Academics Home
- Combined Degrees
- Student Resources
- Industry Home
- Partner Benefits
- Student Design Projects
- Guest Lectures
- BME Interns
- Research Collaborations
- Tech Licensing
- Industry News
- "Women's Radio Network Open Forum" To Feature AxoGen, Inc.
- 3rd Annual Pruitt Research Day
- AxoGen, Inc. Announces Clearance from FDA to Proceed with New Multicenter Comparative Study for Avance® Nerve Graft
- AxoGen, Inc. Announces Completion of a Pilot Clinical Study Assessing Cavernous Nerve Reconstruction with Avance® Nerve Graft
- BioD LLC Makes $1 Million Gift Commitment to UF BME
- BioD Receives U.S. Patent for Unique Placental Tissue Technology
- Dr. Peter McFetridge awarded the Tim Brahm Professorship
- Event Celebrates BioD’s $1 Million Gift to BME
- New Industry Partner: Sigma Aldrich Corporation
- RTI Surgical™ Announces Agreement With Novation
- Record BME Industry Partner Participation at the 4th Annual Pruitt Research Day
- SPECIAL EVENT: “Geraldo Rivera Show” to Feature AxoGen, Inc.
- Stryker Provides Guest Lecture to BME Students
- Contact Us
Dr. John Sheets appointed as the new director of FDA’s premarket review office for devices
Congratulations to Dr. John Sheets who has been appointed as the new director of FDA’s premarket review office for devices. Sheets is a UF alumnus and a former UF BME external advisory board member.
Prior to joining the FDA, Sheets was appointed chief scientific officer of Anika in 2013. Before joining Anika, he was at Boston Scientific, where he was senior vice president, corporate research. At Boston Scientific, he was responsible for revitalizing product development by establishing new global processes, creating worldwide technology strategies, and establishing new product sourcing and development networks with a focus on emerging markets. Before his work at Boston Scientific, Sheets was corporate vice president of R&D and chief technology officer for Bausch and Lomb. Sheets has also served as President of Hoya Surgical Optics and was chief technology officer at ETHICON (Johnson & Johnson). Earlier in his career, he held senior leadership positions at both Alcon Laboratories and IOLAB Corporation (Johnson & Johnson). Sheets holds a B.S. (Zoology) and M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Materials Science and Engineering from the University of Florida, Gainesville.
Congratulations, Dr. Sheets!