- About BME
- Academics Home
- Combined Degrees
- Student Resources
- Industry Home
- Partner Benefits
- Student Design Projects
- Guest Lectures
- BME Interns
- Research Collaborations
- Tech Licensing
- Industry News
- "Women's Radio Network Open Forum" To Feature AxoGen, Inc.
- 3rd Annual Pruitt Research Day
- AxoGen, Inc. Announces Clearance from FDA to Proceed with New Multicenter Comparative Study for Avance® Nerve Graft
- AxoGen, Inc. Announces Completion of a Pilot Clinical Study Assessing Cavernous Nerve Reconstruction with Avance® Nerve Graft
- BioD LLC Makes $1 Million Gift Commitment to UF BME
- BioD Receives U.S. Patent for Unique Placental Tissue Technology
- Dr. Peter McFetridge awarded the Tim Brahm Professorship
- Event Celebrates BioD’s $1 Million Gift to BME
- New Industry Partner: Sigma Aldrich Corporation
- RTI Surgical™ Announces Agreement With Novation
- Record BME Industry Partner Participation at the 4th Annual Pruitt Research Day
- SPECIAL EVENT: “Geraldo Rivera Show” to Feature AxoGen, Inc.
- Stryker Provides Guest Lecture to BME Students
- Contact Us
Hans van Oostrom, Ph.D.
Hans van Oostrom, Ph.D.
Associate Professor & Director, Institute for Excellence in Engineering Education
Human physiologic simulation
Nuclear Sciences Building 202A, P.O. Box 116561, College of Engineering, Gainesville, FL 32611
M.S., Electrical Engineering, Eindhoven University of Technology, 1988
Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, Eindhoven University of Technology, 1993
Postdoctoral Fellow, Anesthesiology, University of Florida, 1994-1998
Dr. van Oostrom’s research is focused on the mathematical modeling of human physiology. These models are the heart of the Human Patient Simulator™ (HPS) used in all medical schools to train clinicians. Dr. van Oostrom works on improving models and implementations for the HPS. In addition, these models can be used as a basis to improve clinical measurements, allowing clinicians to better determine the state of their patients.
Honors and Awards:
- College of Engineering Faculty Advisor/Mentor of the Year Award, 2014-2015
Lansdorp B, van Putten M, de Keijzer A, Pickkers P, van Oostrom JH. A Mathematical Model for the Prediction of Fluid Responsiveness. Cardiovascular Engineering and Technology. 4(1). 53-62. 2013.
Peterson M, Schwab W, McCutcheon K, van Oostrom JH, Gravenstein N, Caruso L: Effects of elevating the head of bed on interface pressure in volunteers. Implications for pressure ulcer formation. Crit Care Med 36: 3038-3042, 2008.
Krueger C, van Oostrom JH, Shuster J. A longitudinal description of heart rate variability in 28-34-week-ol preterm infants. Biol Res Nurs. 11(3):261-8. Jan 2010
van Oostrom JH, Kentgens S, Beneken JEW, Gravenstein JS: An integrated coronary circulation teaching model. J Clin Monit Comput 20:235-242, 2006.
Meka VV, van Oostrom JH: A bellows-less lung system for the Human Patient Simulator. Med Biol Comput Eng 42:413-418, 2004.